These first few weeks of the year are by far the busiest for gyms, weight loss centres & all sorts of quit smoking, financial planning & self improvement gurus. But it’s well accepted that most peoples resolutions aren’t seen through to the end of the month. What is the secret that the successful hard bodies & non smokers are hiding?
Well, it’s just as much in the execution as it is in setting the goals.
- Set specific goals, instead of vague ones: “I am eating 5-10 servings of fruit & veggies daily before January 31st.” Rather than a generic I will eat more fruit & vegetables; set a value that can be measured.
- Set yourself a deadline: “I am eating 5-10 servings of fruit & veggies daily before January 31st.” Put some pressure on yourself to get your butt in gear! You can always reevaluate once your timeframe is up.
- Phrase it in a positive light: “I am eating 5-10 servings of fruit & veggies daily before January 31st.”
Don’t bother saying that you want to accomplish your goal (of course you do!) tell yourself that you are.
- Don’t try to change a dozen things all at once. Consider applying each of those twelve goals to a month and building up to achieving all of them. If you think you’ll be successful quitting smoking, drinking, eating junk food, sleeping in & procrastinating all at the drop of the hat you’ve got another thing coming. If it was that easy you would have done it already. Take baby steps.
- Choose a goal that you can get excited about, rather than something that you have a negative stigma attached to. Choose to think about it in a positive light: “I want to be my healthiest self!” v.s. “I’m don’t like the way my body looks.”. This is a decision you get to make.
- Surround yourself with positive influences. If you’re hanging out with a bunch of people who encourage the habits you’re trying to break, you probably wont make much progress. It is said that you are a reflection of the five people you spend the most time with. Choose those people wisely.
Remember, it’s never to late to set a New Years resolution for yourself! We have a number of specialized practitioners on staff who can help assist you with your goals, contact us to set up an appointment.